To be invited to an audition day, you must first submit a prescreening audition through acceptd.com.
Please open an Acceptd account and apply, following the instructions on acceptd.com. Your application will include chronological list of your dance history, a personal statement, and a prescreen video.
Dance resume: Submit a chronological list of dance training and dance performances from most recent to 8th grade.
Prescreen audition: A thirty-second video clip of yourself dancing in class or in a performance. Please tag yourself if you are in a large group.
Essay Question: Please compose a one-page essay to answer this question: What work of literature or movie do you think would make a great musical, and what role would you have for yourself in this production?
Letter of recommendation
Please ask a dance mentor, teacher, or dance professional with whom you have worked closely to send a letter of recommendation separately by mail. This should be someone who can write about your strengths and growth as a dancer.
Mail materials directly to:
Department of Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance
Lee Norvelle Center
275 N. Jordan Ave.
Bloomington, IN 47405
Notification of audition invitation will be emailed no more than 2 weeks after the deadline dates. Applications for 2018-2019 auditions will open in August 2018.
You must complete your General Admissions application to Indiana University. In order to be considered for merit scholarships, you should submit your application by November 1.
Early application is helpful in the audition process. You can direct questions to Scott Hogshed, B.F.A. Liaison (email@example.com).
What to expect during your audition
If you have been granted an audition with the IU Contemporary Dance Program—congratulations! Be sure to follow the instructions below to assist in preparation for an excellent audition. All applicants accepted into the B.F.A. Dance major are direct admits into the College of Arts and Sciences.
- If you have been granted an audition you will receive an email confirming receipt of your application and your audition date.
- You should print and bring a copy of your confirmation email to the audition. If you have trouble printing, please request that a paper copy be printed for you.
- Report to room PH 161 between 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. for check-in on the date of your audition. A campus map will accompany your confirmation letter.
- You will have the opportunity to observe a contemporary dance technique class from 10:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m. in PH 161.
- There will be a parent’s meeting at 10:15 a.m. in the Studio Theatre in the Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center. Parents may accompany their student to PH 161; dance faculty will then escort parents to the theatre building.
- The audition will begin promptly at 11:30 a.m. with a two-hour technique class. The class will consist of a 45-minute ballet barre, followed by practice in improvisation and an hour of contemporary dance technique.
- Light snacks will be served from 1:30 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. You will have a chance at this time to chat with current dance majors.
- You should then be prepared to show a 1-minute solo in the modern/contemporary dance genre. You may choreograph your own solo, or work prior to the audition with a dance professional.
- A short concluding meeting will follow the audition.
- You may then elect to view repertory rehearsals from 3:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Faculty and current dance majors will be available to answer questions at this time, giving you an informal tour.
- Letters indicating audition results will be sent approximately two weeks following the audition.